Thursday, July 06, 2006

age discrimination

it is funny how things work in a circular pattern. 10 years ago this year, I got married ( I have since been divorced). At that time my wife was a mature student working on her Masters at a Uni in NL. She had a hell of a time trying to find work for the summer months because she was too old (she was several years older than I). Too old meaning that all of the student employment projects are geared to those under 30. I am 37... that rules me out. I had a chance at a couple of interviews today, only to have to turn them down because they are a part of the federally funded work projects, which require that the student be between the ages of 16 and 30. I can understand the need to set up youth employment and job experience programs for the younger, and newer workers in the work force, but I don;t believe that if you are a full time student, you should be excluded from working due to your age. I am a full time student. I do not have the ability or luxury of being independently wealthy, and I have to work hard at the school end of it to maintain my grades to achieve scholarships and fellowships so that I can continue my academic career. I should not be penalized on the job front because I happen to be a decade or two older than my fellow students. The fact tremains I need a temporary position, just for a couple of months, until the fall semester starts. My age should be irrelevant to this process.
I remember watching my ex-wife go through this hassle, and how frustrating it was for her, trying to finish her degree and trying to survive on top of that. Now it is my turn. I was understanding then, as my current partner is now, but it is a struggle to say the least.

No comments: