Thursday, February 16, 2006

Anger Management

I don't know that I have ever been so angry. The apartment building we live has presented several "unique" challenges to our being able to live "peaceably," and when the fire alarm went off, not one night, but two nights ina row at the charming hour of 3:00am, it was the last straw in being able to live peaceably. SO, we gave our notice, a full month and a half. However, the property management company is refusing to admit that the list of problems are enough to envoke the "living peacably" clause in both the landlord tenants act and the rental agreement with the rental company. The customer service agent gave me the number of the leasing supervisor, and I have been dilligently calling him for over two hours now and he is not returning my calls. This afternoon, we are supposed to sign a lease on the new property, and we cannot get any response from this man. The rental company is insistant that we pay rent for the month of April. (Our lease was to expire in April anyway) I htink I am being more htan fare by agreeing to pay rent in two locations for the month of March. The list of complaints ranges from vandalism and graffitti in the hallways, to the constant smell of drugs throughout the building, to finding human feces all throughout the stairway and all over the handrails, to someone breaking into the laundry room and trashing the washing machines with a crowbar or a hammer or some such... and it goes on really.
To their credit, they have been swift to respond to each individual crisis, but they are not able to find a way for these incidents to stop. It is supposed to be a security building, but it apparently matters not that these things keep happening. The other tenants in the building make this an unsafe place to live, where we can no longer live "peaceably." It is not like we are trying to skip out on the place. We are trying to be above board about it, give them as much notice as is possible to give, and yet, that is not good enough. They are going to make us jump through the hoops, ring the bells and whistles, etc. Well, if they think I will rolll over on this and not take action, they are sadly mistaken. There will be letters to the editors to each newspaper, in particular the student newspaper, being as students are a large number fo their tenants. There will be letters sent to NTV, CBC, VOCM and any other news agency I can think of. There will be a letter written to the Residential Affairs division, and lastly, when they try to keep my security deposit, I will attend a hearing to make sure that I receive the 450 dollars in security deposit that I have paid.
But the gentleman is still not returning my calls. I get his voice machine. So I phone it every fifteen minutes or so, and will continue to do so until I get confirmation one way or the other as to how this is going to procede.

No comments: